Monday, August 24, 2009

Fiddling while the computer burns

I've fiddled with my blog colours this morning despite clear evidence that the family computer is about to die. It did a bit of a meltdown last week and Becky the Techy fixed it up, backed-up everything onto a very expensive portable hard drive [which is why I am so sanguine now about the death throes of my aged darling], told me I should 'heed the signs' and gave me blood-freezing quotes on a new computer. And here I am today with that 'blue screen' thing popping up and a response time to my clicks and taps that could only be described as glacial.

So the time has come.

There's always the laptop - currently being 'backed-up' by Becky who tells me laptops only last 2-3 years now and mine is three years old - but we need a family computer, too.

Oh well. Nothing like a blog make-over to perk you up when things are malfunctioning. And it's not only the computer. Second son delivered my car home on Sunday morning with a broken seat belt and a rattling exhaust. Says it was 'bad luck'. It was 'bad luck' that other time too when the car transmission gave out while he was driving it, and 'bad luck' when the brake pads gave out over night - after it had been in his care. With its scratches and peeling paint, I've been driving a 'hoon' car for a while now, but the rattling exhaust garners me strangely hooded looks when I pull up outside the butcher's between an SUV and a Beemer.

On the writing front, I thought this was a useful post about believing in yourself as a writer ... but to a point ... on the very useful blog How Publishing Really Works. It's a practical and clever post by writer Dan Holloway. Thought I might apply his logic to a few other things in my life....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the new colours and the photo. very glam. I have just got a new computer, it has made me v. excited to just show up at the desk

hope the novel is coming along well

intrigued by the book you are reading The Hollow tree, cover beautiful

Mary McCallum said...

thanks G-g -- I envy you your new computer - very much

novel is sputtering a-l-o-n-g [like the car, like the computer]

have enlarged The Hollow Tree pic so you can see it better - Rosenberg is an Aussie! And concentration camp survivor - he died before the book was published by allen and unwin - it's more of a fable than a novel, really... but i'm not far into it yet...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it is the book that had a little scandal about it - about a man meeting his wife / in a concentration camp/years later....I have a vague memory of reading about it....

Other computer, was getting tragically slow had it for 6 years, so it had been a loyal friend. It is getting a new life at an outback school, so glad for that....

Rachel Fenton said...

My laptop crashed and burned recently but luckily had read the laptop rune stones (and it crashing every ten minutes was a hint) I figured it needed back-up! Those portable hard drives are marvellous. Now I have a shiny new wonder worker with only a few crumbs to date and a reason to keep tapping away.

Lovely new tones on your blog - just my favourite shades!