Friday, July 23, 2010

E is for Book

E-book or P-book? I heard an interesting presentation on this a few weeks back. The P-book was new to me (or so I thought) but it is - get this - a Physical Book, and an E-Book is an Electronic Book. And both, it seems, are books. One doesn't need paper or binding anymore, a screen in your lap will do.

While it's tougher now to get published as a P-Book, it's easier than it's ever been to do the E-Book thing. The potential is huge for writers who want to get their work out there. It's certainly worth looking into if you're clutching a manuscript that hasn't got, well, physical yet.

Lulu.com  is one place a writer can publish their own E-Book (or P-Book). There are other sites too - but Lulu seems to be the biggest.

There are also E-Book publishers out there now who will assess a manuscript, edit and promote it. One of those is NZer Penelope Todd (formerly of Longacre Press) with the brand new Rosa Mira Books who is soon to publish her first E-book and is working on another. She comments
The first manuscript is being edited: The Glass Harmonica: A Sensualist's Tale —  a joyous and lyrical novel set between Corsica, Paris, and New England in the late 18th century — by Dorothee Kocks of Utah. We're planning an October launch. I'm currently considering stories from NZ and abroad for the second title Slightly Peculiar Love Stories. 
Which sounds really E-groovy. Good luck, Penelope. Now must get started on that peculiar love story... 

3 comments:

maggie@at-the-bay.com said...

I tried to go directly to Penelope's site and post a comment, but it would not accept my ID for some reason - so for Penelope and Rosa Mira Books I would like to say - congratulations, a fantastic initiative which deserves to succeed and will watch with interest - how exciting, and bold. Good on you.

M40 said...

A US poet I like has her E-book available on her blog. I printed it out and really enjoyed it. I think E-books are a great way of reaching a wider audience, especially with the poetry print runs here being so small.

Penelope said...

Thanks, Mary, for posting, and Maggie for commenting, and both for good wishes. It seems I'm not alone in having Blogger comment problems; I've sent off my 'help' plea. 'Bold' in this case feels like wearing a cerise dress (say) for the first time: omg; but this is fun, but it could land me in a pickle, but ... I'll do my best to pull it off (the work, not the dress).