Saturday, May 14, 2011

Feijoa Chutney recipe


I still haven't made it, but I intend to. Maybe tomorrow. Here it is courtesy of Esme and Anna at the Kiwi Diary 2011 (see previous post). For overseas readers, Feijoa are also known as Pineapple Guava, and are available March - May. They grow here freely. 


1.5 kg feijoas
300 g raisins
500 g onions
500 g dates
500 g brown sugar
2 tpsp ground ginger
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
4 cups malt vinegar

Trim ends of feijoas and slice by hand. Chop onions and dates. Combine everything in saucepan.
Boil and cook for 1 1/2 -2 hours gently until thick. Pour into clean hot jars.
Jar of enjoyment!

4 comments:

Claire G said...

Lovers of feijoas AND literature may enjoy Michele Leggott's poem 'Nice Feijoas', online in Best New Zealand Poems 2009 (www.nzetc.org/iiml/bestnzpoems/BNZP09/t1-g1-t11-body1-d1.html) but also in the new book - now there's a quaint concept - Best of Best NZ Poems.

Mary McCallum said...

I have the Best of Best NZ Poems! Terrific book. Will look up Leggott's 'Nice Feijoas' - thanks Claire!

Claire G said...

I feel I may have misled: there is very little about feijoas in "Nice Feijoas" - but a lot about the season in which they fall from the trees, and the end-of-summer atmosphere of seaside Auckland (I'd say Devonport).

lillyanne said...

Thanks so much for the post, Mary. I'm feeling very nostalgic about feijoas now, and I'll keep the recipe until I meet some more of them.